About State Honor Jazz Bands
The 2016-17 MBDA State Jazz Honor Bands are an opportunity for talented young musicians from across Minnesota to join together in the performance of quality jazz ensemble literature. The rehearsals for this event will take place at McNally Smith College of Music, 19 E Exchange St, St Paul, MN. The bands will rehearse from 10 am- 5 pm on Sunday, January 22 and perform a concert on Friday, February 17, 2017 at the Minneapolis Convention Center. Exact performance times will be provided upon acceptance. Please have students check their calendars BEFORE submitting auditions.
Students in grades 7-10 must be involved in their MN school band and jazz band program during the year of audition and have MN directors who are current, paid members of MBDA at the time of submission. Students are selected based on top audition results, but it is also the intent of MBDA to represent as many schools across Minnesota as possible each year.
All student auditions must be submitted via mp3 recording this year.
The window for submitting auditions online is Oct. 31-Nov. 7.
Notification of acceptance and music will be sent to directors by mid December 2016. If selected for the MBDA Jazz Honor Band, students will be expected to attend all scheduled rehearsals and activities on January 22 and February 17, 2017. A participation fee of $65.00 per student will cover expenses and the cost of lunch at the Sunday rehearsal. Parents are responsible for transportation, lodging, and supervision at all other times during the Honor Band rehearsals and pre- and post-performance.
Preparing to record your audition:
Please do NOT record all audition materials together in one track.
Each particular scale and etude must be recorded in one take, not edited and spliced together.
Record your audition in the following order (See the audition rubric online at the MBDA website for more specific details about scoring):
1. Record the scales for your instrument (these are available at mbda.org).
2. Perform the two etudes for your instrument (Drums – two etudes and three styles. Bass- two etudes). Etudes are available on the MBDA website.
3. OPTIONAL: Record the improvisation etude with the accompaniment, available on the MBDA website. Improvisation skill score may be used to determine solo(s) for the performance or used in the event of a tied score. There is no improvisation track for bass and drums.
To complete the audition process, your director needs the following:
1. The completed Audition Form, signed by your parent/guardian
2. Audition fee of $10 payable to MBDA
Student audition recordings must be completed by 8:00 pm on Monday, November 7, 2016.
2016-17 State Level Audition Materials
Questions about Honor Jazz Band auditions should be directed to Eric Johnson, 7-8 (email@example.com), or Jeremy Rockford, 9-10 (firstname.lastname@example.org ) MBDA State Honor Jazz Band Audition Co-Chairs.